I took another trip to see the good ol' OB today. The story of my life, right.
The sono went well. The Bean still has their head way low and is in good position. Good news.
The Bean's HR was 139 and my amniotic fluid level was again perfect at 16cm.
She also checked the cord blood flow just to make sure all is still functioning well since we are full term. Great news again. Apparently, they look for some ratio between the diastolic and systolic blood pressure going through the cord and anything under 3 is excellent. Ours was 2.19. So this means the baby is able to get great blood flow and nutrition from the placenta still.
As for my visit, it was not quite the news I was hoping for today.
I have made no progress in the last week. I am still 1-2 cm dilated and 90% effaced and, again, she said, " Wow, the head is right here!" I went on to explain that I'm not really having any contractions and will only have them should I really exert myself, but even then they are non painful and short lived and apparently aren't changing my cervix any.
She then went on to say that given how "favorable" my body feels..and given how long I have been favorable.. and with the baby's head so incredible low, I really should have gone into labor by now..or it should be happening at an second. This makes her a little concerned that it's not going to happen on it's own. She said that you need the passage (birth canal), the package (baby), and the passenger(me) all to be right for natural labor to happen.
Given that the baby is in good position, she said it may be that it's my body shape or size that is interfering with things progressing. She cautioned that even though you may induce a women who is "favorable" if labor hasn't spontaneously happened on it's own, there is a reason. Therefore, this will put me at a greater risk of C-section if I don't go into labor on my own and have to be induced. She fears that I just may not progress well through an induction.
But, of course, we don't know that for a fact. And I'm not going to get super worried about what she's saying just yet. I know I'm "favorable" but it's not like I'm THAT favorable. I'm barely dilated and I still have two days until I hit my actual due date. And most first time moms go late anyway. So I still have great hope my body is well on its way to doing what it needs to do, it's just saying, it's not time yet and we all need to respect that.
I certainly do nooot want a c section. I know there are far worse things in life to have, but I really, really want to exhaust all of my options in an effort to deliver vaginally. Not the news I was at all wanting to hear this week. This has been a horrible week for me emotionally so I think any and everything is a big deal for me. UHG.
She said she wanted me to get on the schedule for an induction next week, since I'll be 40 weeks this Friday, which is in two days. I told her that I would not consider being induced until I give my body and the baby time to let nature take its course, so after 41 weeks, but not going past 42. So currently, we have a tentative date of April 11, which is my deceased Granny's birthday which I think is super special, for my induction, which would put me 12 days past my due date, or at 41 weeks and 5 days. So exactly two weeks from today.
I feel really comfortable with that time frame and giving my body the time it may require. I just don't want to rush into an induction, then not progress properly maybe because my body wasn't quite ready, then have to have a C section, which will then set me up for all subsequent C sections for any more babies we may be blessed with. I don't want to have looming regrets or 'what ifs' about the delivery. So I'm going to wait this out and trust in my body. (That's almost a funny joke, right. Okay, well, I'm certainly going to trust in the Lord then.) Oh man, I can't imagine waiting that much longer though to tell you the truth. Lord, I pray boldly for this baby to come sooner than two weeks and all on its own with a great natural delivery! :)
I have to admit, I'm feeling a little crummy about this news today. I could barely get pregnant or stay pregnant and now I'm hearing I may not be physically able to deliver. Pretty much makes me feel like a failure as a woman and a soon-to-be mother. Although I do know there is a whole lot more to being a woman than bringing children into this world. I know some fantastic women who have never given birth. Hopefully I won't always feel this way. Maybe it's just my out of control emotions, I don't know. Man, this has been a crap week so far. And Kevin is still not my favorite person.
And I still have the appointment with the Peri to go to today. It's at 5:15---late! I have asked boldly of God. Praying we get great news this afternoon. If not, I may lock myself in the bathroom later tonight to have a screaming fit. :)
Don't get discouraged...just because you haven't made the "progress" the doctor wants to see doesn't mean anything. Your body and the baby will come when God is good and ready! A c-section does sound scary, but remember you can get through anything, you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for. Dealing with infertility and bed rest in your case makes us super women in my opinion! Regardless of how you deliver, having a healthy baby is all that matters, I'm not trying to belittle your feelings about a vaginal birth because I would have totally freaked out if I had been told I would have to have a c-section...BUT, when I was in labor and pushing Aiden out, I didn't care how he came, just that I could hold him in my arms and he was healthy!!
ReplyDeleteYou are probably very right. It seems like there is potential for me to lose my ' delivery vision', but in the end, all I will care about is getting to meet my sweet baby for the first time and that we are both healthy. Thanks for reminding me of the basics. Sometimes i'm just too in my own head for my own sanity. LOL
DeleteKristen! Hang in there!! I went 41 weeks 1 day with Annalee while being 3cm dialated and 90% for 2 weeks and she still had to be forced out! Induced or not, c-section or naturally, you will still be holding that sweet baby in just a matter of days. Finish strong girl! You've done such a great job being pregnant and you will make a wonderful mommy!!
ReplyDeleteLori beck
Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement, Lori. I know, I know, all that matters is that very shortly we will be enjoying one of the most amazing experiences of our lives. Can't wait! I sure hope your littlest one is treating you well and you are thoroughly enjoying your pregnancy. Have you decided on a name?!!
Delete