Kevin and I had the luxury of attending the First Time Mom Presale at Just Between Friends recently. I have been planning on this event for months, as they only do sales twice a year. I was so looking forward to finding some great deals and saving us some moo la. Apparently, if you're a "real" mom, you know about Just Between Friends. It's all the rage with all of my mommy girlfriends, and wanting to be a "real" mom, of course I had to attend. :)
For those of you who don't know what Just Between Friends is, it is the largest consignment sale of all things baby in the state. This entails every kind of toy you can imagine, baby monitors, clothes, swings, changing tables, baby furniture, strollers...you name it, they have it. It's amazing. Kevin and I really wanted to see if we could find some of the expensive items we need for the baby here. As long as it can't be contaminated (I'm not a fan of used breast pumps in the least), and it can be washed and sanitized, I say save some money and buy it used if it's in good shape. We ( well, Kevin) works too hard for our money not to offer some due diligence before spending it.
Just Between Friends' hallmark is their quality. They perform thorough inspections on all items so when you get home you haven't just purchased something that doesn't work, or has a hidden tear, or has stains on it. This is why they are so popular. Everything we came across was in great shape, and, like I said, as long as it can be cleaned and is in good shape, I'm good.
Kevin and I preregistered well in advance as first time parents because first time parents get to go shop the merchandise before others who are not first time moms. Our designated shopping time was from 7p-11pm Thursday night. We knew this would turn into a long night, but we had no idea we wouldn't make it home until midnight. Whoa. I sure did have some kankles going on by the end of it. I'm sure the standing in the checkout line waiting to pay for TWO HOURS ( not kidding) did not help the ankle swelling.
It was chaos in this place. Well, the merchandise was not chaotic, it was nicely organized, but there was a ton of people! There was well over 500 first time moms there shopping. And it was a mad rush to get the best items. We were there early, and were in line waiting for the doors to open, and upon entering we pretty much made a b-line for the baby swings and they were already picked over. Holy Cow! We then moved onto another "big" item on our list and as we were contemplating sticking a 'sold' sign on one, we were being starred at by another women who I guess also had her eye on the same item. You could tell she was ready to pounce on the item should we have decided to walk away and not purchase it. But we did actually purchase it, as it was virtually brand new with no visible signs of any wear. Great buy.
Although we did not anticipate to have to contend with quite so many people at the presale, it was a good experience. We got some great items, all for no less than 50% off. We left there with a very full car and with many, many items for a fraction of what we would have paid retail. Score! Although this sale took place two days before our baby shower, we were careful not to buy items that others may have purchased for us off of our registry. We were really wishing the sale was AFTER the shower, but that's just how it worked out and we didn't want to pass up any good deals. So we just took a few chances on some purchases. It actually all worked out. We chose wisely and did not run into having duplicate items after the shower.
And the next sale is in August, and you know I'll be there!
The following day was spent washing, wiping, and sanitizing every item we bought before it made its way into the baby's room. This was quite the task. I think I just tire our more easily now or something. But sometimes I just get so exhausted and it's not like I'm out running marathons. Since I'm not willing to admit just how deconditioned my body is, I'll just pull the pregnancy card for this one.
Everything is now clean, looking virtually brand new, and put up in the baby's room. Ahh..lovin' the nesting. The more "stuff" we pile and fill in the baby room with, the more it makes me just want to go sit in their and stare..and dream about the Bean who will be the proud owner of that space in a few weeks. I can barely wrap by brain around that thought. Really? Just a few weeks..? One one hand I've waited and waited and waited for this day and truly thought it may never come, and now that it's upon us, I feel like time has gotten away from me and I'm feeling a little surprised. But it's certainly the best paradoxically situation I've ever found myself in. :)
I'm glad you guys were able to get so many things! We went to a consignment sale in Denver and found lots of things for cheap. It's great to get what you need and save money.
ReplyDelete