Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Does My Baby Hate Sleep?

Surely not if he's really my child. But,sadly, it's kinda looking like he does hate it, as this past month as been horrendous..and I mean it. We are so sleep deprived. He was sleeping through the night and just having bad naps during the day. Now he is waking up many, many times during the night and is still not sleeping for naps.  And for everyone wondering, he is not hungry. He is satisfied between feeds and does not give me the ' hungry cry' and he is gaining weight' like a champ' according to the doc as of today.

Kevin and I both are at a loss as far as what else we can do to help him sleep better. I really want to give him the gift of good sleep. I hate seeing my baby so tired.  We have literally tried EVERYTHING. I've read every infant sleep book on the market, too. Since he is teething, although no teeth have come through just yet, we have tried Tylenol a few times and it seems to help him sleep at night. He is also not pooping--like going longer than 8 days without a BM. We were told this can be normal for BF babies, but I wonder if this is causing some discomfort. He is also not wanting to eat and pulls away from the breast and the bottle. What in the heck is going on with my babe?  Anyhoo, we went into the doc today to discuss his teething, not sleeping, the poop thing, and to see when medically they recommend sleep training as I don't want to start too young and do any harm to his sweet little psyche. :)

So...he IS teething according to the doc, just no teeth yet. She said this process can take weeks. I have to do some things to help the poop situation along and she found 'red streaks on the back of his throat' and fluid in one of his ears. She said the fluid in his ear is not infected yet but we need to get rid of it or it can get that way. She went on to say that the fluid could also be affecting his sleeping and eating because of the nasal drip down the back of his throat and the pressure change in his ear due to the fluid. So..we start Benadryl for a few days to see if we can dry up the excess fluid. She is hoping this will help his sleeping and eating. If not, then we start antibiotics to avoid an ear infection.

On the good side, he weighs 14.4 pounds as of today and his average weight gain from birth is still about 1 ounce a day. She said he will continue to gain on this trend until about the 5 or 6th month, and then it will slow to about 1/2 ounce a day.

She said we can go ahead and start sleep training also, just not anything too extreme. We need to teach him to self soothe and wean him from sleep props. And he has a lot.  She said cognitively they typically can't self soothe until about the four month mark. So we will start weaning him from all of his sleep props and teaching him to self soothe so he put himself back to sleep when he wakes up as soon as this ear stuff is all cleared up. Don't think it's fair to start something like this when he is not 100%. I believe teaching him how to be a good sleeper now is one of the best things I can ever give to him. So I'm willing to have a few more hard weeks to get this done.

So we're starting our Benadryl tonight and pray that his little ear heals right up and no antibiotics are needed and that this boy poops!  He went 8 days without a poop last week too and when it did happen, boy it sure wasn't pretty. Oh man. Luckily Kevin got that one. :)

On a fun note, Preston and I are starting a Mom and Baby aquatics class next week so get him used to the water early. I'm really excited. I think this will be so much fun and a great bonding activity for us. I sure hope he's a water bug. Although the last two times he has been in the pool he has been a little indifferent to slightly fussy. But he isn't even 4 months yet. I'm sure it's quite the sensory overload for him.

Preston completed his last session of physical therapy today. whoo hoo! His head is still ultra flat in the back according to his PT, but we're working on lots of skills to get him doing more than siting and laying on his head. So I'm not worried about it right now. During therapy today Preston showed signs of wanting to army crawl. It was soooo cute to watch him! I bet once he starts moving he will be allllll over the place. Love my sweet man.

Preston's newest favorite thing: For us to sing to him. He loves, loves You are My Sunshine, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. His face just lights up and he smiles so big when you start singing to him.

I think this is the current news of the day. Please pray for our man to love to sleep. Bring on the Ferber Method. :)


5 comments:

  1. Ferber will work, just stay consistent! It was so hard for me to hear Aiden cry when we were sleep training, but we have a wonderful sleeper now (knock on wood)! I've read in several sleep books that "sleep begets sleep." So technically if he's sleeping poorly for naps, he will have a rough night, etc. Poor Preston, sounds like some of his sleep problems are medically related. I sure hope he starts feeling soon and that teething isn't too painful. These teething tablets work wonders...and they are all natural which we love!
    http://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Homeopathic-Teething-Symptomatic-Children/dp/B005F0CQ9I/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1343873468&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=highland+teething+tablets

    I will thinking and praying for sleep for you guys! Keep us posted on how the Ferber method goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I forgot to add that I heard a song the other day that reminded me of your previous post about sleep struggles. It's by Darius Ruckers and I think called "It Won't Be Like This For Long." SO totally true, I look back on when Aiden was struggling through this and Dustin and I were SO exhausted and didn't know what to do. God had to constantly remind me that I needed to be thankful in ALL things, including sleep deprivation! It WON'T be like this for long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Girl! Thanks so much for your sweet words of encouragement! I know it won't be like this for long and I ask God everyday to help me have a joyful heart through this bc I know there will be a day that I look back on these moments and actually miss them...just like I do my pregnancy--amazingly enough. LOL Did you use Ferber with Aiden? How long did it take to work? Did you also remove sleep props such as a swaddle, rocking, nursing, paci, etc. when getting him to sleep? Are you now able to put him down drowsy but not asleep and have him self soothe himself to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sort of used Ferber. We actually found that the checking in on Aiden at various intervals made him more upset than helped so we basically shut the door and let him soothe himself without interfering. We set his naptimes (at the time he was taking 2 naps and a small 3rd nap) and stayed VERY consistent with following the same routines when getting him to sleep. We actually still feed Aiden and rock him when he goes down for naps/bed, but we make sure to watch him and as soon as he looks like he is falling asleep, we lay him in his crib. He always talks a little or plays with his burp rag/lovie and then falls asleep. I feel better knowing that he is going to bed with a full tummy and honestly enjoy the snuggle time!
    It took us about a solid month of consistently following our routine/nap times before he was a good napper. We did get rid of the paci and swaddle during this time, because I figured that I didn't want to have to go through and have him cry again to break those habits down the road.
    He goes down now SO easily and anyone can do it, including babysitters with no tears! Email me if you have more questions or if you need encouragement on a rough day: holsen85@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Heather,

    The teething tablets you mentioned, did you ever find a good trick to get Aiden to take them. It just seems like Preston will not leave the pills under his tongue to let them melt.

    ReplyDelete