Monday, January 2, 2012

My Body is Getting the Message!

If you have no desire to hear about my breasts, or nipples for that matter, than this may not be the blog post for you. 

I think my body may be attempting to do something correctly. At 27.3 weeks, yesterday, I noticed that my nipples are leaking both a yellowly and a clear fluid. It was super weird to see this stuff come out of my body, but oddly reassuring that my body is preparing for our Bean. I have been a little concerned about whether or not the body gets a strong enough message to produce adequate beast milk if one has a preemie. It would seem to me that just like with babies, mother nature says things are fully ready to go at 40 weeks, so why would this be any different with one's breasts being fully prepared to nurse a baby. However, all the L and D nurses assured me that as soon as the baby is born there is a hormonal change in the body that immediately readies the breasts to be able to feed adequately. 

So all of this took place last night as I was laying on the couch. It couldn't believe what I was seeing! I immediately called Kevin over to take a look at what I was seeing. He actually didn't seem quite as excited as I was, he seemed a little un-phased by the new development. I guess this is to be expected with as much as I share with him--there is very little that can evoke a response from him anymore. 

However odd I may find it that these two things on my body that have never been used for anything "mommy-ish" in my entire life are now slipping into "mom/baby mode", I do find it reassuring and comforting to know that my body may actually be doing something correctly--gearing up to produce milk soon! Yea! And this little experience last night also helped to make our pregnancy a little bit more real. I always love moments like this. 

Although there is never any way to doubt that our pregnancy is real, as our little one is still moving up a storm! I don't mean little flutters and nudges from the inside. I mean full belly convulsions, full karate kicks and punches seem to be a mainstay, and lots of hiccups. I didn't know what I was feeling were hiccups until the nurses in the hospital told me what was happening while they were monitoring the baby. 

Aren't you glad you know that my nipples are leaking?! This is an exciting development in the life of someone like me! Whoo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment