Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Smorgasbord of Thoughts Today

First topic of discussion, nipples. Yep, I said it. Nipples. There ya go, I said it again just for fun. Speaking of those pesky little things, what in the world is going on with the two I have! Holy Cow, has someone set them on fire and just not told me. Is this some one's idea of a funny joke? Those babies are on fire lately and feel like they are raw skin that's being slowly peeled off with a butter knife. Wow. So much so that showers are very painful, having water touch them is over kill and I must always wear a bra. There is no loosey-goosey business allowed anymore. Just having a tshirt touch them is too much too take. Again, I'm throwing this in the "pregnancy pile". If you have any better ideas to explain this anomaly, please let me know. Until then, I will take all my showers facing away from the shower head and never go braless again.

Next topic of discussion, is vitamin D. As many of you may know, there is a lot of controversy surrounding vitamin d in the body, well, vitamin d deficiency in the body. Vitamin d is really more of a hormone regulator rather than a true vitamin, which means that if it's out of whack so are a lot of other things. Vitamin d deficiency has been known to increase one's breast cancer risk exponentially, cause thyroid dysfunction, acne...all sorts of things. Finding a doc who believes that most Americans are deficient in vitamin d is becoming more prevalent, but most docs who treat individual systems in the body, and not the body as a whole, are still out of the loop. Anyhoo, at one point in my fertility journey my vitamin d level was tested and was virtually non existent. I was put on a high dose, relative to the government's current daily intake standard, which was 5000 iu. I stayed on this dose for quite a while. Now that my levels have surely rebounded, I now take about 2500 iu while pregnant. The government says that a pregnant woman needs about 400 IU of vitamin d per day. This is a VERY old standard that was adopted to keep kids from getting rickets. I think we are well passed a very basic minimum to keep our kids from getting rickets, but it has never been reassessed or changed.

I have mentioned before that I loved the book Origins, which goes in depth about fetal origins,which is the study of things that happen to the mother and a baby during pregnancy and the belief that these things shape a baby as an adult. I fully believe in this premise. One of the things they discuss in the book is vitamin d during pregnancy. Mothers who take high levels of vitamin d, according to some studies pregnant women should take about 4000 IU per day, have less risk of gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, low birth weight babies, kids with asthma, and it also promotes babies who have more neuro synapses, promoting a calmer and smarter baby. I take about 2500 IU of vitamin d per day, this includes the 400 IU that are in my prenatals. I guess we shall see how Baby Wicker turns out! Just kidding.  I have no doubt I am doing the very best for our Bean.

Funny story. Last night Kevin and I purchased something off of Craigslist. We are well versed in dealing on Craigslist, and have sold and purchased many things off of CL's. But we had an experience like no other with our latest purchase. The item we found on Craigslist was a great deal, and we really wanted to make this purchase. We made the drive there, which was about 45 minutes. I had a weird feeling about the guy we were purchasing from from the beginning. He only wanted to text and his texting, well, lets just say wasn't what I'm used to, but, granted, this could have been because he is not in my generation. Something told me I needed to do some research on this address online before we made the drive. So the address went into Google. I quickly discovered that this address is currently for rent, it's in the middle of no-where, on a dirt road, with a creek running behind the house, and there was a registered sex offender living at this address at least at one point. HHmmm..So needless to say, at this point I was feeling very concerned, but Kevin said I was being dramatic and there was no reason to worry. So before making the trip to his house I sent my mom the guy's address and expressed my fears. This way if she never heard from us again she could direct the search team in the right direction.

So we get all the way out there. It was dark. We are on a gravel road that dead ended and the address given to us was no where to be found. We call the guy and he tells us that to our left of the dead end there is a dark dirt road that we need to follow. It is more like a ditch full of water, bumps, and rivets. Poor Penny the Prius. Keep in mind we are in the middle of no where with not one street light. It's pitch dark. When I looked down the windy path that he was telling us to travel my heart jumped into my throat. I became panicked. At this point Kevin is still on the phone with the guy getting further directions. So Kevin starts taking our little Prius off roading

Kevin is still on the phone with the guy and I'm freaking out in the car imagining scenes from the movies "Wrong Turn" and "The Hills Have Eyes". I'm in a full panic and telling Kevin to just hang up and turn around, we're leaving! The guy is telling Kevin that we need to continue driving past this house through more dangerous terrain and off-roading. Kevin tells him that our car will not be able to handle the path in front of us. He tells us that he will drive up and meet us where we are. A few minutes later he appears in a pick up truck and tells us that we can just get in his truck and he'll take us to the item we're looking at which is in a travel trailer out on the property!! What the hell is happening??!! Kevin just kept saying, "well, we've come this far...." I told him that even if we drove 500 miles, if we're about to be killed, it's not worth it!! So at this point I had to make a very quick decision on whether or not I was going to let Kevin go alone with this guy and just stay in the car and wait, or go with Kevin and have this guy take us to the travel trailer. The compromise: I went with Kevin, but we declined the ride in his truck and just asked to walk to the travel trailer, in the freezing pitch black night.  So here we were in pitch black with this guy standing in the middle of no where, and I'm wearing heels. Awesome.

Shortly into our walk the guy says he has to run back to his truck because he forgot something. So Kevin and I are left to stand there alone wondering if he was coming back with a gun to kill us. Luckily, that wasn't the case. So we continue the walk and see multiple houses, travel trailers and lots of dogs on the property. In our awe, we say, " wow, there sure are a lot of homes out here." He then goes on to tell us that this is family owned property ( are you thinking what I'm thinking??? Texas Chain Saw Massacre!!) and it works out perfectly for poor folks, as they can all live on the same land. He then goes on to point out where every cousin lives on the property. Oh my.

Finally, we come to "our" travel trailer. It was disgusting. I actually just stood outside the front door, but I did peer in not wanting to look anymore rude than I was already looking. This travel trailer was DISGUSTING!! It was filled with trash and junk---everywhere. I didn't want to touch a thing! I mean, gross!! We had just stumbled upon an old lumber jacks man cave! At this point a super sweet little chihuahua mix whom was roaming the property and whom was also pregnant jumped up on my leg. She actually scared the crap out of me I was so on edge, but she did manage to calm me a bit as I pet her, she was a sweet little love. I felt really sad to leave her. Her name was Lola.

So Kevin is in the trailer looking at what we came to purchase and all looked in working order with the item, so I was ready to make the deal and be gone. Although the item was dirty, to which we were told it was probably smoke. Umm..I don't think so, but it looked totally cleanable, so no worries in this case as I just wanted out of there. We did offer him a little less than his asking price, but we made the deal and were on our way. So we walked back down the long path to the car and I took this opportunity to talk about Miss Lola, the sweet dog I had just met. No, I didn't load her up in the car also.  She lives outside and they have no plans for her puppies, although we were told to keep in touch if we wanted a new dog. :) I told him that her puppies would be a really adoptable small breed puppy and they would get adopted readily at the local humane society, so they should consider dropping them all off up there when the puppies were done weaning from Mamma.

We made it back to the car, loaded up, got in, and locked the doors . It's at this point I ask if we got the remote, to which Kevin replied, " oh crap, no!" So Kevin got out of the car and yelled for our new friend who was now on the phone and walking off. He obliged and went back to the trailer to grab it for us and we were on our way as fast as humanly possible. I cannot tell you the complete happiness I felt when we were safely back in a "normal" part of the world. I had Kevin clean his hands with some wet wipes I had in the car before touching anything in the car. I know, I'm crazy. But the filth was insane.

When we got home the item was fully sanitized, wiped down, and Cloroxed. But it cleaned up as good as new. I've become rather germ-o-phobic as of late, and I actually gloved up as I cleaned this thing. Hahaha! Surely I didn't breathe in any dangerous spores from that nasty trailer. Hope not.  I guess you would have had to of seen where it came from to be this cautious! Luckily, we purchased an electronic that was really new to begin with, there is no way in heck I would have bought anything that wasn't plastic from this place.

Moral of the story: different strokes for different folks. We get really accustomed to how we live in our little bubbles and it's shocking when we see something that we don't define as "normal". It's not that it's "bad", it's just different. And makes for a laughable memory and blog entry for girls like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment