Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Really?

All I can start with is O.M.G and maybe...'really'??? As many know we are not sharing our chosen baby names  in order to make the day of delivery that much more special for everyone. Well, we worked really hard to choose names that were just perfect. Not too new, not too trendy, not too popular, names that will age well, names that are easy to spell and pronounce, names that are strong and classic...and the list goes on. Well, our girl name is super uncommon. It's an old southern name from the 1800's. According to the Social Security Name Database, this little girls name doesn't even make the top 1000. In 2010, there was only 1200 little girls in the US given this name, which I assume were given as a throwback to an old family name. I have never met someone with this name, young or old.

Anyway, I was just watching a commercial this evening and the little girl on the commercial had this name, our name!! What the heck!! This name is virtually unheard of, especially by those who would be in their baby makin' years.  Kevin and I were dead set on naming our daughter Stella for the longest time, and wouldn't you know it, by the time we were ready to capture a name Stella is one of the most common little girl names with some serious rising power according the SS database. This is why we moved away from naming our daughter Stella. Big time bummer, because I looove this name. But I don't love it if 2 other girls in our daughter's first grade class will have the same name.

I'm not saying that just because we heard this name on the commercial we are changing our choice, but it does mean that this name may be on the rise. And we are feeling pretty irritated that this name is even on the radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment