I was released on Friday, at the end of the week, as we were hoping, from the hospital. We woke up bright and early to get ready for my sonogram to check my cervical length. This was not just any cervical length measurement, this was the one that would determine my fate. The previous night I took a full dose of Ambien and it was amazing. I finally slept, albeit with triple vision and monsters moving all about my hospital room. (This drug is hardcore!) Yea for taking the edge off and getting loopy!
So I was super nervous for my sonogram, after all, it would determine our fate. I saw the same Peri who performed my last sonogram in the hospital--Dr. Payne. He seemed much more relateable this time. So as I laid down on the bed I asked the doc if he felt anointed because he certainly was filled with divine powers with as much he had been prayed over. He chuckled and cracked a witty joke of some sort. Although I do remember somewhere in there him telling me that he probably would feel a little weird about praying over a cervix. I quickly told him that I didn't!
When he put the lovely wand in he immediately saw that the lower part of my uterus was contracting..again, as it was last time on sonogram. You can't take a cervical length when this happens, as it will give a skewed reading. So we had to wait...with the sono wand left in place...while this contraction went away. Nice. The doc kept moving the wand around looking at things and I carefully watched his facial expressions. He sighed and bit his lip and generally seemed a little disappointed. This was not helping my nerves, or my ability to relax my hoo haa as I had a big ol' wand crammed in there indefinitely. Lord, what was he seeing??! Tell me something!!
While we waited we all three tried to make light conversation and took this time to build a report with the doc, as we might be seeing him regularly from here on out. The doc found it appropriate during this time as we waited not- so patiently to tell us about his last pheasant hunting trip. So we indulged him and oohhed and ahhhed over his trophy of 130 dead pheasants. For anyone who knows me well, you know this is a Wow. But you do what ya gotta do. :)
As we were waiting he took some more measurements of the baby, checked the amniotic fluid level again, and visualized the baby's sweet face. When he had a good shot of the baby's face he said, " Aww, look what yall made. " He then gave Kevin and I fist bumps. HAHAHA! I then asked if he would check the baby's heart, as there is a lot of missing biological history in my family, including in my immediate family. He then told me that if I was adopted that someone sure missed out on me. ..Hmm...not sure what to think about this comment. But moving on.. He checked the baby's heart and said it looked like a perfectly normal heart to him. Awesome!
Finally my uterus simmered down and he got on with the measurement. It measured 2.49 cm--so basically the same from the last measurement. THANK GOD!! He then goes on to say that he thinks I'm stable for the moment and that I can go home!!
So we wait for my OB to come by, which she finally does, which feels like an eternity, and she gives us the green light to be discharged with a follow up appointment after Christmas. From the time we had our sono to discharge we waited about 3 hours, which felt like an eternity. But Kevin got my room all packed up, got me situated in the car, and we made our way to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions and then headed home. We were home by 1pm. So thankful. I seriously felt like I had just been released from prison. Everything smelled better, everything was prettier than I remembered it, I was so thankful and was sitting on a cautiously-optimistic cloud nine.
My parents had just made their way into town and went ahead and came over as planned to have a Christmas wrapping party at our house. My Mom had been shipping many of her purchased Christmas gifts to our house, so they were all piled in the nursery waiting on this visit. So they came over, we ordered take-out, I laid on the couch, and Kevin and my Mom made it through wrapping like a bazillion presents. It was really great to see them and be at home, even though I couldn't take part in any of the fun.
On the downside, I did notice that even though I was literally laying down and doing the exact same thing I was doing in the hospital, I was getting a lot of contractions. It must be from just being stimulated by being at home, the dogs being so excited to see me, and having visitors. Hoping this does not continue. It really freaks Kevin out and makes him go into Nazi -mode even more. This is going to be a long bed rest stint I can already tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment