Today was our first follow-up with our OB after our hospital stint. I was, of course, very eager to see how my cervix was holding up after almost 2 weeks of bed rest. I was very excited to report that my contractions are much improved to the doc.
Our cervical measurement average today was 2.75cm. Now remember the variance between how our sono tech measures and how the Peri measures cervical length, so essentially this is either unchanged or a smidge shorter than it was the day we were released from the hospital. I wasn't super excited to think that my cervix may have actually gotten shorter with all the hard work I've done to stay in the supine position, but all that mattered today was that my OB was happy with what she saw and said things look stable for now. To be perfectly honest, I was a little disappointed that my cervix had not"lengthened" given the lack of contractions and bed rest.
We get to keep doing what we're doing until we see her again next week. This looks like strict bed rest, no outings other than to head to the doctor, she denied us any privileges to go maternity clothes shopping, to register for our baby shower, or to have my maternity pictures at this point. Everything will have to be done by Kevin alone or online, or be reassessed at a later date. Oh, and no sex, and she is also adding on a fun new at-home surprise. She is having a company bring out at-home pressure cuffs for me to wear on my legs to help prevent blood clots that I have to wear EIGHTEEN HOURS A DAY!!!!
The next 5 weeks is going to be brutal. She will give me more freedom when I hit 32 weeks. I also weighed in at 122# today, a two pound weight loss from my last visit. Hmm....doc said she is not concerned as the baby is getting what it needs and is measuring a little ahead at today's visit--measuring at 27weeks and 3 days in the 56th percentile. The doc said that the weight loss is likely from muscle atrophy--already!--from my two weeks of bed rest. I'm not loving this. I asked her if there was anything that I can do to prevent muscle loss, to which she replied a solid, " no". Awesome. She said I would just have to make it all back up after the baby is here, which will be difficult as I will have less endurance and strength from all the muscle loss and bed rest. This gets better and better, huh. I was also again shedding sugar in my urine....geez...
She also told me that even though she can't predict the future and doesn't exactly know what will happen with my cervix, preterm labor, and how early I will deliver, she does suspect that with all subsequent pregnancies I will run into similar issues. Another great positive.
We did get to see the baby on the big screen again today. Our baby is so precious. We got to see a beautiful profile with perfect lips and a precious nose. Today the baby was head down, again resting right on my cervix, whereas both sonograms in the hospital revealed the baby was breech, with its head at my belly button. This little one is a mover, I tell ya. The Bean's heart rate was 140 today and weighs approximately 2 pounds and 4 ounces. I'm not so sure about this, as about 2 weeks ago we were told the baby weighed approx. 1 pound and 11 ounces. Seems like a fast weight gain if it's accurate--but that's great!
I am super happy my cervix is stable enough that there was no talk about going back into the hospital, but I am feeling bummed that there is no light at the end of the tunnel for at least 5 weeks and I'm losing muscle mass and weight and have to wear those dang pressure cuffs on my legs for 18 hours a day!
Again, I'm struggling with unmet expectations of what my pregnancy would look like and how I would get to experience it. I knew the getting pregnant part was a huge drag, but it just doesn't seem fair that the pregnancy has to be also.


No comments:
Post a Comment