Monday, August 15, 2011

Second Sonogram!

So at 7 weeks and 4 days I had a follow-up sonogram just to make sure I wasn't having anymore stabbing pain. Our bean, according to the textbooks, should have about doubled in milimeters from 7.5 to about 14 or so and its heart rate should have increased from the 120's to the 150's or so. The heart rate always start low and pick up speed for a few weeks, then level back off.

So...how did our bean fair: Our bean is now between 12.5 and 14.5 mm ( depending on which ultra sound pic you look at, which the doc said was absolutely perfect and right on track) and its heart rate is now 156.Yea! Everything looks great. Our baby has grown so much in one week. He/she looked soo much bigger on the screen today.  I was amazed. On the sonogram we could actually make out its little tadpole tale and its tiny arms and legs. It was the coolest thing to see and to know this little thing is growing and sustaining life because your own body is providing for it. It truly is the miracle of life, for sure.

                                                          Second Sonogram: 7 weeks and 4 days
                                                                         August 15, 2011







On a different note, since today was hopefully my last appointment with my RE for a long while ( until we are ready to use our frosties), I asked a few more questions.

So here is what I learned:

It is safe to use Salicylic Acid topical treatments for acne while pregnant.

I will stay on my baby aspirin until the end of the first trimester.

I will discontinue my prometrium, Crinone, and Estrogen ( Vivelle) at 11 weeks of pregnancy once the placenta takes over the production of these hormones. I asked what happens if my placenta doesn't take over until week 12. He laughed and said it will probably take over making these hormones at week 10, and they are just being cautious keeping me on them until week 11.

My Vivelle patches do not want to stay attached to my body, so I asked if it was a big concern that I may not be getting the proper amount of estrogen. He said there are no worries as the estrogen is the least important thing I am taking, with the progesterone, of course, being the most important.

I asked about Frozen Embryo Transfers (FET) today to prepare for next time, as we plan to go pretty much back-to-back on the baby front. He said about 90% of the embryos survive the thaw, and you lose about 10% in your success rate when you do an FET cycle. The entire cycle lasts one month, with about 4 visits to see the RE in that time. There are NO INJECTIONS, only oral and vaginal meds. I can certainly handle that! The price will be approximately $3,000 for each cycle.  Whoo Hoo! ( Not) Still working through a little bitterness about those who can get pregnant after only the cost of a 6 pack of wine coolers. Not Fair!

I also asked whether or not being on progesterone would delay or keep me from miscarrying ( bleeding)  should there be something wrong with the baby or the baby stops developing. He said that me being on meds would delay the onset of any bleeding, therefore, it could take weeks before my body figured out how to bypass the meds and abort the pregnany. I only asked this question so I know how much hope to have if no bleeding occurs.

AND.....( do you hear the angels singing??)...we can resume sex! But we were told that any bleeding that occurs afterwards could mean something is wrong and to call the doc.

All-in-all today was a great day. We ended the evening with a great dinner downtown with four sweet couple friends. I have got to get this over- eating under control! I am a freak with the food!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, great news! I'm so glad to hear that the little babe is growing away in there :)

    ReplyDelete