This weekend was a great weekend. Despite having to drive 8 hours in 24 hours, which was totally worth it, I got to have my Layla and Sophie fix. I drove to Houston to my brother's home to celebrate my niece's second birthday. He has two sweet, preeeecious little girls, Sophie and Layla, whom I love, love, love!
Since it's an understatement that things are not well between myself and my Dad and Brother, I chose to stay in a hotel while in Houston. This action was part of instituting some of my new healthy boundaries, as well as limiting any drama. It worked out okay. My brother told me I could stay with him, and my Dad asked why I didn't stay at "home" ( his house), but I tried to stay as cavalier as possible about their inquiries and stuck to my guns on staying in a hotel. Mission accomplished: it turned out to be a drama-free weekend. whooo hooo!
Layla, my brother's daughter, has just turned two. It was quite the celebration and I am soo glad I made the drive because I always miss my nieces terribly. We were given less than a week's notice for the party, so Kevin and I were unable to find anyone willing to take care of our dogs for the weekend, so Kevin, unfortunately, had to stay behind. I REALLY wished he was there with me for many reasons. One of them being that he would have had a great time at the party! There was tons of stimulation and lots of fun kid stuff to do, which is right up my hubby's alley. :)
But despite Kevin not being able to join it was a nice trip. It actually felt great to stay in a hotel alone, with pure silence and no demands or stimulation. I actually think I could have stayed another day by myself just for the heck of it. Conversely, the drive is soo boring. I have made the trip to and from Houston a bazillion times, and it never gets any easier. I45 is a desolate, ugly stretch. So I listened to one of my fav CD's back-to-back, over and over. That's okay, it was well worth seeing my sweet Layla and Sophie. Layla had a great party that I think she completely enjoyed. She got tons of crazy cool gifts, a great cake, slip 'n sliding, good food all while surrounded by lots of friends and family. At some point she was actually found passed out in her bed while the party was still happening. I guess she was pooped and just put herself to bed.
Layla looking her FAV gift from Me and Uncle Kevin
Big sister Sophie
Sayin' "CHEESE" while on her new four wheeler and holding her Jessie Doll and horse
My brother, Bubba, and Lisa ( Layla's Mom and Dad)
Nothing better than birthday cake while in your bathing suit!
It was well worth the drive to be able to see her sweet face. I can't believe she is already two!! It seems like just yesterday we were sleeping in the hospital waiting room in anticipation of seeing her sweet face for very the first time.
No comments:
Post a Comment