Monday, November 28, 2011

My Sweet Glory-Lynn

Today ended with an unexpected expense and a boo-boo for one of our fur kids. Glory-Lynn, one of our pittie mixes, whom is always the brunt of Kelsey's torment, again, will wear a scar inflicted by her sister. And we, again, had to shell out more money for Kelsey, even if indirectly. There is no such thing as a true $50 dog.

I let all of the dogs outside to go potty and all the dogs immediately went to run the fence line, like they all like to do. This has been an activity in the past that has caused many fights between Glory and Kelsey, as they are usually in a state of high energy fueled by wanting to guard their back yard when they run the fence. So Kevin and I are always on alert when we let them outside and don't shut the backdoor until we can get a good feel for the energy level of the group. A high energy vibe needs to be supervised. This is also an issue that has been addressed with our dog trainer, as some terrible, terrible fights have broken out between Kelsey and Glory, the two big girls, always caused by Kelsey, when I have been home alone and left to break them up. Both of these girls are tenacious, which is scary to get in the middle of, to say the least. Thank goodness my days as an animal nurse has left me with the skills to know how to intercept dog aggression and the know how to medicate and address medical concerns. However, today, I didn't have all the supplies to treat Glory, so we got to make a trip to one of my former vet employers, the dogs' vet's office.

 Here is what happened today. I let the dogs out, they must have all heard something on the other side of the fence, as they all made a B-line to run the fence, with the two big girls leading the way. Glory was busy running back and forth and as Glory ran by Kelsey, Kelsey reached out and she nipped Glory's side by her rib cage. I was still watching in the door way. I noticed something on Glory's side, but Glory kept on running as if nothing happened and I saw no blood. She didn't offer up even a micro expression about what had just happened. I continued to watch for about 30 more seconds. Both girls were now running the fence separately and acting as if nothing had just happened. The thing I noticed on Glory's side, I was hoping was a leaf that was kicked up and was just stuck in her hair. But it should have fallen off with her boisterous running. I called Glory over to me on the patio and noticed a very large piece of skin hanging off her side and a 2"x2" area of exposed muscle. Kelsey had nipped her and as Glory kept running it allowed for Glory's skin to rip. Lovely.


All stapled up.

Glory likes to lick her wounds, and I hate her wearing the e-collar, so she gets a T-shirt instead. Historically, she does great with leaving her wounds alone when wearing one of Momma's T-shirts.
Jules showing some comfort to his sister, Glory. We just got home from the vet and I think she is already starting to feel the affects of those glorious pain meds.



I had just gotten out of the shower and my hair was dripping wet. I put Glory in her crate, I called the vet to let them know I would be headed their way, dried my hair and hit the road. So after dropping some cash we didn't need to drop, Glory now gets to sport some more staples for the next two weeks and gets to add another scar to her collection. All of her scars have come from either having cancerous tumors removed or from her sister Kelsey beating up on her. ( Their sibling rivalry is something fierce.) But since she's a pitt girl I like to tell Glory that she's just living up to the stereotype, every pitt bull has to be covered in scars, right? No one has to know she didn't get any of hers inside the fighting rink.

Another fun filled day. Wishing my sweet Glory girl a speedy recovery that results in no painful infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment