I don't know why this was so dang hilarious to me, but it was. Maybe you just had to be there. ..
So I'm needing some stretching long sleeved shirts that I can grow into. Just some basic, solid tops that I can mix and match and pair with cute scarfs and accessories as I go through this awkward growing phase. Anyway, so I ask Kevin if he knows if Ross sells maternity clothes. Stupid question, he has no idea, just as I don't.
So while this conversation was taking place I was sitting on one side of the living room and Kevin was sitting on the other. I had just gotten comfy and didn't want to get up to get my phone, as I was planning on giving Ross a ring to find out if they carry maternity clothing. However, Kevin was sitting right next to his phone. So I ask him to dial a number for me and just ask if they sell maternity clothes. Here's how the next minute went down.
Kevin: " I don't want to call Ross. How about I just dial the number and you ask."
Me: " No, that means one of us has to get up. It will take like 2 seconds to call and ask."
Kevin:...dialing phone ...(pause...pause...pause..) " Hi, yes, I would like to know if you sell maternity clothing?"
Ross Employee: " Uh....ten."
Kevin: " No, uh, pregnancy clothing."
Ross Employee: "Ten."
Kevin: " I mean, pregnancy clothing. You know clothing that pregnant women wear."
Ross Employee: " ....No, ten."
Kevin: " Okay, thank you." So with a totally normal face, he casually hangs up and sets the phone down.
Me: " What in the heck was that all about??"
Kevin: " I have no idea. He didn't speak a lot of English and he apparently had no idea what I was asking. I have no idea how people who can't even communicate in English get through the interview process much less are allowed to answer the phone and speak with customers. "
Me: So you finally just said, 'okay, thanks' and hung up like you were a satisfied customer?"
Kevin: " Yep, I didn't feel like dealing with it and having to explain it to the dude."
I then asked him to tell me what in the world the guy was saying on the other end of the line to make Kevin repeat 'maternity clothes' and 'pregnancy clothes' three times. He tells me the story and I crack up laughing! For some reason the visual I was getting and Kevin's totally cavalier response just gave me the biggest belly laugh.
I found this entire scene hilarious!
I ended up having to get up from my chair anyway after trying to avoid it so I could get my phone so I could call back and get the answer I was seeking. Funny thing, the same guy answered, so in an effort to not sound rude and say, " uh, can I speak to someone other than you", I just promptly asked to speak with the manager on duty. I thought trying to explain what maternity attire was to this man would be futile, so I passed. My rationale was that surely the MOD would be better equipped to understand the English language. And she was. They do sell maternity clothing.
It gave me a much needed laugh this evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment