Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Whole Lotta "No's"

So today we entered into phase 3 of our IVF process. We started our stimulation drugs! I want this part to be over as quickly as possible, as I will be heavily loaded with synthetic hormones for the next ten days, but I'm also glad to be here because it signals we are making progress through this process--which is a good thing.

So Kevin and I learned together how to mix up all the doses of drugs into one syringe. Lets hope 225 IU of Follistim, 75 IU of Menopur, and 5 IU of Lupron do the trick and get those ovaries producing lots of great eggs! I have to tell ya, I have used Folli-"sting" before, and, yes, it did sting when injected and  that was only a 50 IU dose. Today I just had 225 IU and it STUNG and burned like crazy--and it was a big shot going through a really tiny needle, so it took a while to get it over with. One day down, 9 more to go! It didn't help matters that Kevin happened to stick me in a blood vessel and I bled a lot for such a tiny little stick. What I'll do for a CHANCE for a baby---geez. I must be insane.

So on to explaining the 'whole lotta "no's"title. There is a whole lot that I'm  having to say "no" to through this process, which doesn't make this 7 week process move any faster. No sex ( seems ironic, right. This truly will be immaculate conception if we get pregnant!), no alcohol, no caffeine, no melatonin, which I REALLY  need to sleep at night!, no to certain face creams that I use, no to certain hair treatments I get regularly, no strenous activity ( not such a big deal for me..haha), and no to soy products. AND I have had to start taking a prescription prenatal vitamin, too. Are you laughing at this also. I sure did. A prescription vitamin...really? Vitamin E is vitamin E for the most part. But whatever. I'm going to do the whole deal all the way. If we're going to put $10,000 on the line, I want to know that I did everything I could have done to set us up for success. So that way if it doesn't work, I will know it was out of my control.

Good news is that Kevin learning to be a really great shot giver. yea! From here it is my prayer that Kevin and I remain unified through this journey, as the intensity builds. I pray that Kevin remain steadfast against my hormonal weirdness and for his heart to remain soft and supportive. It is my hope that God keep me as balanced as possible so that I am not too unbearable for those that have to deal with me.  May the Lord keep both of our hearts peaceful, strong, and sure that God's will is precious and sovereign.

So we move forward. Within the next week we will know how my ovaries will respond to the drugs, which will tell us if we will advance to phase 4 or not. Of course, we are hoping for an optimal outcome. We are paraying for anywhere from 10-20+ little eggies. I know, a lot. But this is what the doc says he would really like to see. He also said that if this happens, that I can expect to have very swollen ovaries, which will cause abdominal swelling and discomfort. But I say that's the least of my worries. :)

Until next time, peeps. Lets see this week be the fastest week ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment