Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Money Grubbing!

See, I told you my gusto runs out quickly. For the last week I haven't had much to say, so I haven't written, despite a lot being processed in the head. But I promise to come with some good updates very soon. I will tell you though that I completed my trial transfer yesterday aftenoon and started my IVF medications---the second of 13 different drugs. This process, I am learning, is broken down into multiple phases. I have started phase two.  For me, my hsg test and inseminations have all been really painful, and the trial transfer is essentially the same thing. So I was very worried about the visit yesterday. However, my doctor is super great. I didn't feel a thing--and he did it five times in row! Super grateful! I know I was being a big baby about this whole visit, but I think I've been marred by all the tests, needles, and surgeries. Instead of desensitizing me, its has turned me into a baby!  But I made it through. Thank you, doc!

However, on the flip side, my doctor's front office staff, I don't offer such a big thank you. So if you live in Fort Worth and you need to see a fertility specialist, you don't have a ton of options. There are a few to choose from, all with opinions attached from various sources all over the web. I have seen two of the few in the area. But I favored one over the other, so most of my treatment has been with the same doctor. Both doctors have different things about them that I like and I don't like; there is rarely going to be a time when you LOVE EVERYTHING about someone or something, so I think this is expected. You just gotta go with it.

Back to the point----so my doctor's office is notorious for collecting lots of money up front. They over charge me upfront, then I have to track down a refund--6 weeks later-- after the insurance claim goes through. I have tried to explain my position on their practices time and time again, but to no avail, obviously, as I'm writing about it.  In my case, my insurance will pay for all of  my sonograms, bloodwork, and most anything that my fertility doctor wants to do to me--other than any type of fertility drugs or treatments, such as IUI's or IVF. However, we have a very high insurance deductible to meet every year, which means we have to pay at least $3,000 out of pocket every year before our insurance will begin paying for any of my sonograms and so forth. So until then we're paying at least $200 every time I see my RE, which is often.

This same scenario played out again yesterday when I went in for my trial transfer. Keep in mind we just paid a $1500 bill to their office a few weeks ago. We never carry a balance, always pay immediately, and I have been his patient for over a year. Yet we still get treated no differently than Sally-Sue New Patient. Very irritating. When the same scenario started to play out yesterday I had to pull out all my "evidence" from my insurance company showing I was now at 100% and I didn't have to pay anything for the visit. I then go on to request a refund from an overpayment from my last visit--and again whip out other "evidence" from the insurance company to substantiate my claim. She almost refused to give me a refund stating that I will certainly have further responsibility throughout my IVF cycle, so I should just leave the refund on my account. Out of principle, I refused. I'll wait 4 weeks GLADLY for my $15.00 check.  I'm obviously irritated, as I have to do this once a week with them. She then promptly asked for my $5,000 down payment for my IVF cycle! It's all business!

I know they are desensitized to what all the families who come to their clinic have to go through and how much money they have to find to be able to pay for all of their fertility bills, but GEEEZ! Are you kidding me!? Maybe it was the Beyaz talking, but I wanted to come across that counter and slam her little head into the computer screen in that moment! Equally important, why am I going to have additional charges due for my IVF cycle after we pay $10,000?? Hello--kinda thought it was all-inclusive! Way to exploit women in precarious and vulnerable positions who long for a baby! Money grubbin' snakes....( okay, it's definitely the Beyaz and Lupron talking)....oh, the joys of hormones.

But my doctor eased the pain after the appointment started, as he was very thorough, kind and reassuring. I just gotta find a way to bypass the front office staff from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment