Sunday, April 15, 2012

Preston's Birth Story

Oh man, I really did intend to have this posted and chronicled long ago, not two weeks after the fact. But things have been a little crazy around here. And when they aren't crazy, I'm far too exhausted to be able to put more than a few words together.

So here goes. Here is the story of how our little one came into this world. It was a glorious, beautiful, breath taking moment that has forever changed me. I'll go ahead and start this post now, but it may take me a bit to finish it, as it's about time for another feeding time. For the record, it took me a week to complete this post!

As you may remember, we were anxious to meet our little Bean. We tried lots of things to coax along the natural process. What I learned about doing this: unless the body is really ready, none of it will work. Although I did have an "induction" acupuncture session done just before I delivered. I was told if the session was going to work, it would be within 48 hours after receiving the treatment. I had my acupuncture session on March 29th around 11am and I went into early labor on March 31st at 3:30am and Preston was here at 10:26am. But, for the record, just so all is fair, we also had sex around midnight the night that I went into labor. So it could have been one or the other or a combination of the two. We will never know. But the good news is that Preston is here.

On March 30th, on my due date, which was a Friday night, Kevin and I went out and enjoyed a date. What perfect timing, right?! We had a lovely dinner at The Taco Diner. We sat on the patio and enjoyed the absolutely perfect weather and some good people watching. We then headed to the movie theatre in the town center to watch The Hunger Games. I really loved this movie, by the way! We ended up getting back home about midnight and were in bed around 1am or so. The entire night I felt pretty great, other than having to pee like a zillion times while we were out. I did notice some discomfort while in the movie. It felt like Preston was stabbing me in the cervix and I remember jumping with discomfort and having to reposition myself multiple times in order to stay comfortable while watching the movie. Other than this, I felt pretty normal the entire evening, even once we got home and made it to bed.

I was awakened by some light cramping around 3:30am. I did not immediately wake up Kevin, as it  was pretty normal for me to have some semi-intense contractions for the last few weeks following sex. However, there was something about the contractions that did make me wonder if this was "it". They felt a smidge more intense than any other contractions I had gotten in the past ( minus when I was in preterm labor, of course) and they did seem a little more regular. Even still, they were 7-10 minutes a part initially and nothing that made me feel overly painful. However, they were "there" enough that I couldn't sleep through them. Around 4:30am I woke up Kevin to let him know I was having contractions and they had not let up in the last hour.

Very soon after, I noticed I was spotting bright red blood. I knew this must be a good sign. I was praying it was a sign that my cervix was dilating. I called my OB to see what I should be looking for as a sign that I should head to the hospital. I did not want to drive to the hospital only to be sent home for a false alarm. I felt like I wasn't sure when would be the right time to head in considering I had tons of braxton hicks and preterm labor issues during the pregnancy. It was almost like I was afraid I wouldn't be able to discern what was "real" and what was not after such an eventful pregnancy. And, on top of that, being a first time mom and not REALLY knowing what to look for. Anyway, the call to the OB didn't help me too much, as I was told to head on in if my water broke or when the contractions become too much for me to talk through or at 5 minutes or less a part.

After the phone call with the doc Kevin got up with me and we agreed to follow the contractions for the next hour to see how things progressed before making any decisions. Well it didn't take too long to realize that this might be the real deal. My contractions were definitely real and they were gaining intensity--quickly. So at about 5:30 am we made the decision to get ready, eat breakfast, take care of the dogs, and head to the hospital.

The contractions were fast and furious during the hour it took us to get these things done at the house before heading to the hospital. I knew if this was really "it" I wouldn't have a chance for a long while to brush my teeth and put on a little makeup, either that or I wouldn't remotely feel up to it, and I wanted to look semi presentable on D-Day. So I forged ahead with brushing my teeth, putting on something other than pj's, putting on a little makeup, and making the bed..( crazy me was insistent the bed was made before we left). I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but getting all of this done made me feel much more prepared and ready for what was about to happen. I remember having a moment while I was brushing my teeth where I said aloud, " I'm totally scared about what is going to happen to me during labor" to Kevin. It all seemed daunting that it was really upon me. I was putting on my makeup and having to stop and double over in pain every couple of minutes. But I was determined to push through. It was severely painful though. Kevin was running around the house getting last minutes items such as phone chargers and the Ipad packed in our bag, and I was in the bathroom periodically screaming out, " Babe, babe, babe!" in quick succession. There was no doubt this was "it". And it was coming on fast!

We left our house around 6:30am and got to the hospital about 6:45am. It was a painful car ride. It seemed like it took forever to get there. Every bump in the road was my nemesis. It was a long walk from the car into the hospital too. I was doubled over, stopping and starting, and moving slowly to make it inside. By the time we made it to Labor and Delivery check-in I felt incredibly nauseated. I was bleeding a lot at this point, but my water was still intact. Very shortly after arriving I had my first cervical check and I was fully effaced and at 5 cm. Whoo hooo!! I was really worried I was going through all this pain and they were going to tell me I was at a 2 or 3. I was soo happy to hear that within 3 hours from the very first period cramp-type contraction to arriving to the hospital I progressed so quickly! The nurse said, "Well, it's baby day!" So we began making calls to family. I cannot tell you how excited I was that this was really happening! Thank God!

From there things moved quickly. We were moved from the triage area and into a delivery room. As I was wheeled into this room, I remember thinking I couldn't BELIEVE I was finally about to get to have this experience. 'The Delivery Room' room had always been reserved for other women, definitely not me. But on this day, it was reserved me! I am a carrier of Strep B bacteria, so I was quick to notify my nurse upon arriving at the hospital so that I could get antibiotics on board asap---especially since things looked like they may be moving quickly. They like to get two does of Penicillin four hours a part into mom prior to a vaginal birth. So the IV was placed and the antibiotics were flowing by 7:45am. It was also at this time that I was told it would be a great time for me to get an epidural if I wanted one. Of course, I was writhing in pain, but I really wanted to see if I could do it without, so I declined.

From here the contractions came faster and more furiously. By around 8:30 am or so my water broke on its own. I was very thankful this happened on its own, as it was one of my birth plan preferences for my water not to be broken by the doc. Since I am a carrier of Strep B, I wanted the baby to stay protected as long as possible.  Even though I was in a tremendous amount of pain, I was still well aware I was bleeding and leaking all over the place. Not a warm and fuzzy feeling. Eeew. Kevin was great through all of it. He was supportive and stayed engaged the entire time, even though I know he must have felt slightly helpless as there wasn't too much he could do to help me. So he rubbed by back when I needed it and encouraged me with sweet words. But the pain was so intense it put me into a zone. It was in a place where I really couldn't interact too well. It was kinda like survival mode for a bit. The pain was doable, but it definitely took me to the edge of my limits.

Around 9:00am the contractions had finally gotten to a point where I didn't think I could go on. They were insanely painful and came often. Actually, it was like one long, grueling contraction that never went away almost.  These final contractions were different than the others before. They were more in my butt and gave me an intense urge to push. So intense that I couldn't lay down when having one. It was a natural need for me to want to get on all fours and rock back and forth. I had to lift my butt up off the bed. My nurse had been telling me with every contraction that I needed to find a focal point and really concentrate on it. Well, I gave this a try a few times in earnest, but, to be honest, it really did not help me at all. I needed to work through the contractions by moving my body around. Well, when the final contractions hit she kept telling me, " Honey, just find your focal point." At this point I was super irritated and I was being pushed to my limits, so I quipped, " The focal point doesn't work for me! Stop telling me to find a focal point." I felt a little bad in the moment, but, geez, back off a little, lady! LOL

They had not checked my cervix again since my initial assessment, so I had no idea how well I had progressed. Struggling with these horrible " push" contractions did me in. I just kept thinking there was no way I could handle even a couple hours more of these horrific " push" contractions, as I called them. Little did I know these were the final, push contractions--- the worst the contractions would be. But since I had not been checked, I did not know that. Therefore, I asked for an epidural at this point. Within 20 minutes I was getting an epidural. It was painless and brought amazing relief in about 10 minutes. The hardest part about getting the epidural was handling the contractions while I was told to be calm and still as the catheter was placed. Yea, right.  It worked great with no weird side effects.

As soon as the epidural was placed and I laid back down in the bed, my nurse checked my cervix: I was ready to push, I was at a 10 and the baby was ' right there'. What the heck!? I was so bummed. I really wanted a natural delivery! If I would have known I made it that far and the urge to push I was feeling would have probably brought some relief, I totally would have not gotten the epidural. I will def know for next time. I can totally manage the contraction part of labor. But it wasn't all in vain. I know that by getting the epidural allowed for a great birth experience, as I was calm and I could enjoy and take everything in.

Right after being checked the doctor came in ( it was the weekend so it wasn't my OB who was on-call, by the way. But Dr. Lopez was amazing!) and she got on her gear while the nurse put me in position and got the bed and stirrups ready. Whoo hoo! We were about to meet our baby! I was in shock I was experiencing all of it! I was on the best adrenaline high ever!

At 9:30am I started pushing. I kept asking, " Am I doing this right?" It was the weirdest feeling to be pushing so hard but not really feel a whole lot of pressure down below. So it was hard for me to know if I was pushing hard enough or if my technique was right. In between contractions when I wasn't pushing, I would visit with the doctor and nurses. It was a really relaxed vibe in the delivery room--totally loved it. I didn't feel like I was giving birth! In the deliver room there was me and Kevin, my OB, the L and D nurse, the nursery nurse, and a nurse from the NICU as a precaution since I didn't have adequate antibiotics on board before delivering Preston. I only had one dose on antibiotics on board before he was born.

It took me a few pushes to learn the best way to make progress, but I gave it all I had every time. Pushing is really draining. But painless with an epidural. :) Kevin was so excited to watch everything. They did ask me if I wanted a mirror to watch my progress. My answer: a quick 'no  thanks'. I really wanted to keep the image of my well put together who-ha in tact. I really felt that by seeing how things probably looked down there would have marred me. That would have been an image I would have never been able to cleanse from my memory. Poor Kevin wasn't so lucky. He chose to watch it all. AND, he very excitedly kept telling me while I was in the middle of some strenuous pushing how beautiful I looked. I asked him about this after the fact because I really found this hard to believe. Really? I looked beautiful while bearing down like I was taking the biggest poop of my life?! He said that I really did look beautiful and I had a glow about me while I was pushing. I think this goes to show that men also experience a certain level of euphoria when they are about to meet their baby. Nonetheless, his words did not fall upon deaf ears. I was really grateful for his sincere sweetness and it was beautiful to see pure joy and excitement exude from him in this moment.

It took almost the entire hour for Preston to crown, but once he did, he was out within a few minutes. Preston did really great through delivery. He showed no signs of distress at all. It was only at the very end that his heart rate dropped a smidge and I was put on supplemental oxygen for a minute or so, then he was born shortly after. I remember the doc telling me that he had crowned and it felt like two seconds later on my next big push he was born. At this point I was giving it everything I had left in me and really visualizing pushing him through the birth canal. Soon I felt the doctor grab him by the shoulders and work him all the way out. At 10:26 am on March 31, 2012 Preston Alexander came into this world weighing 6.8 ounces and measuring 19.5 inches long. Man, he was beautiful! Incredibly BEAUTIFUL!

We asked for delayed cord clamping and for him to be placed on my chest immediately following delivery for extended skin to skin time and for him to nurse. So out he came and they placed him on my chest and he was a screamer. Yea! It was the best thing I have ever heard in my life. I remember exactly the moment I first laid eyes on him. The moment was truly magical. There is nothing that can prepare you for this moment. My heart was immediately captured and so full of joy and love--there just aren't words to describe it. But I know all you moms know exactly the feeling. I remember stroking his head and just being in complete awe! The doc waited for the cord to stop pulsating, then Kevin cut the cord, and I began to nurse him. He was an expert nurser. He latched right on and began sucking. The nurse kept commenting how rare it is for babies to breastfeed so well right after birth. I continued with skin to skin while I was getting a few stitches--only grade 2 tearing--so nothing severe.

Even though we had a lot of Kevin's family in the waiting room ( there was not enough time for my family to get up here from Houston given how quickly things moved, although they were in transit), we had preplanned how we wanted this special moment in delivery to happen. So Kevin did not announce Preston's birth until after we were done with our special family time. It was incredible. After I nursed, Kevin removed his shirt -- me and the nurses were all joking about my husband stripping down in front of them, crazy chest hair and all--so he could do skin-to-skin time with Preston also. What a truly special thing to witness. I knew this moment was going to be amazing to watch, and it was. I loved watching Kevin with Preston for the first time. Kevin was in love. Rainbows and unicorns filled the room.

After my doc was done with me, Preston had nursed, and Kevin and I both spent time bonding with Preston, Kevin put on his " It's a Boy and I'm the Dad" tshirt and headed out to the waiting room to announce Preston's arrival. Preston did not leave my arms for a while after this. We intentionally held off on having him examined, getting his bath, etc. There was no reason to rush any of that, and the nurses and doc were more than willing to oblige. It was such a beautifully sweet first experience with him.

Kevin's family came into the delivery room soon after. Preston got passed around and we all got to witness his first bath and exam. His apgar was 8. He did receive the antibiotic ointment for his eyes and a shot of routine vitamin K, but we did hold on him having a Hepatitis B vaccine. We will do this once he is much older.  He hated his bath. He cried and cried and I cried with him. Man, it broke my heart to see him upset. It was a very different hurt than I have ever experienced before. I guess motherhood changes a lot of things instantly.

I have never experienced a moment so powerful other than the day I married Kevin in my life. It was the best high ever. We videoed the entire birth--not the icky stuff. Kevin set the camcorder up in the room focusing on us and it taped the entire time. I've looked at some of it and I'm soo  glad we video recorded. The moment was just too powerful and memorable--I always want to be able to go back to this time. The day...or next few days.. were absolutely exhausting, as I didn't get more than 2 hours of sleep in three days, but it was so worth it. Meeting Preston was one of the very best days of my life.


Oh Lord, in some severe pain here. I think I was about 8 cm here and no pain meds on board.

Meeting Preston for the very first time!

Our sweet new family of three shortly after delivery.

Preston was born healthy. We prayed boldly over Preston and God provided boldly! To us, he really is our little miracle man. Kevin and I both believe that we have seen God's face through Preston. I did mention that I tested positive for Strep B while in my third trimester hence the antibiotics during delivery, but I didn't get the full doses necessary to pretty much prevent the baby from being exposed to the bacteria and possibly having severe complications. Since this was the case, they did lots of blood panels on Preston while we were in the hospital. They were looking for any early signs of infection. After his first CBC when he was 12 hours old, his white blood cells came back elevated, which is often a sign of infection. Therefore they did a blood culture to see if they could isolate the strep B bacteria in his blood. The test would take a full 48 hours to reveal the results; however, they would be 100 % accurate. Just as a precautionary measure they placed an IV in his arm and gave him two doses of antibiotics every 12 hours over the next two days until his blood culture results were back in.  This would knock out the strep B if it was in fact the culprit of the elevated white blood cells. The other possible explanation for his white blood cells to be elevated was the stress from delivery. We both HATED him having the IV in his arm. In my emotional state it made me even sadder. It broke my heart actually. I said multiple times to Kevin how thankful I was that we did not have a baby with special medical needs who required time in the NICU. I don't know how those parents watch their babies have tubes and wires coming out of them. Oh my goodness.

The short of all of this is that we prayed and prayed. His blood culture came back negative! Whoo Hoo! The doc ruled out him having a Strep B infection. Thank goodness, as this would have meant they would have kept in the NICU for two weeks for more antibiotics. I was actually released from the hospital the day before Preston was, but since Preston had to stay an extra day so we could get the results of his blood culture, they let me stay in the hospital as a " courtesy stay" so I did not have to leave him. How nice was that!? Pure awesomeness! I would have been broken hearted to leave him  even if only for a day. God is good!

WE LOOVE HIM!

I have tons and tons more to blog about and lots of pictures to share, but who knows how quickly those will make it to the world wide web. I really did not know how time consuming and taxing strictly breastfeeding a newborn is. Not to mention, I've been struggling with post postpartum sadness and lots of anxieties about breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is no easy task! Then you couple this with pure exhaustion... It's been rough the last two weeks.





1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story! Take advantage of all the lactation help you can in your area. Breastfeeding is so time consuming in the beginning, but as you probably know, it's a huge bonding experience. Keep nursing on demand, I know you are tired, but it will get easier! :-) kellymom.com is a great website with breastfeeding help too. I'm so glad to hear from you and will pray that you can get some rest soon! Preston is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete