I wonder if as a mom you learn to adjust to being exhausted all the time. I mean, when you're getting only a few hours a of sleep per night and are always " on" taking care of the little one and trying to fit in brushing your teeth and a shower every couple of days, it takes it toll initially. So when will I adjust to this new normal?
I joke that I feel like a dairy cow that never gets a break. Another part of where Preston and I are right now is that it's very difficult for me to get out of the house. He feeds on demand, so that can mean he will go anywhere from an hour to 4 hours between feedings. It always varies. I'm not proficient enough yet to be comfortable to use my cover and feed in public. It's still not a smooth operation, so I feel inclined to want to stay at home. Now that I've been home for a few weeks, I'm ready to break out! I'm ready for a little more predictability in our schedule. I know it will come in time. And I don't want to rush this time with Preston. It is a time that will never be again. It's a once in a lifetime experience with him.
But I am tired. He has also been on a reverse sleeping schedule. He typically likes to sleep most of the day, then stay up and be fussy allll night. Per some books I've read and the pediatrician's recommendation, I shouldn't try to keep him up during the day against his will in order to induce a sleepy state at night. Even the milk coma doesn't put him to sleep at night. So I'm up trying every soothing technique imaginable to get this little one to sleep. It usually takes me at least four hours to get him to pass out. ...All while Kevin is sleeping....arg.. But I know he has to wake up at 6am and head to work all day.
Today he is having a fussy day. He is wanting to feed ever two hours so far today, yet he stays awake in between feedings and is fussy. I'm still trying to pin point what the problem may be and what I can do to help smooth things out.
He didn't want to nap today until about noon, which is how I'm currently blogging. And it was the first opportunity I had to eat and brush my teeth. Gotta love morning breath until noon. :)
Preston may be going through a mini growth spurt if he is eating so often right now. Or maybe he's awake more to check out his new world and mommy! Exhaustion is a normal part of the first few months, but it will get better and you will get more sleep soon! Maybe tonight Hubby can take baby for a couple hours and you can get some extra sleep if you don't mind going to bed at 6pm :-)
ReplyDeleteI understand about getting a little stir crazy when you've been home so much, do you have any friends or family who can stop by to keep you company? Truly, enjoy this time, ever single sleepless moment. I was so tired, I hardly remember those early days and I regret not savoring more of that time.