Wednesday, April 25, 2012

It's My Birthday!

Today I gained an extra year.....I'm one year older...no bueno. I've been so busy with Preston, honestly, I kinda forgot today was my birthday! That never happens! This is how you know my life has been consumed--totally!

Today was a nice day. Kevin brought home a little birthday celebration for me yesterday. He said he did it a day early so I wouldn't be sitting at home all day on my birthday thinking he forgot my birthday. Smart thinking! It was nice to feel loved all day. He brought home a beautiful potted plant (way better than flowers that only last a few days)--it's gorgeous, to-go dinner from my most favorite Mexican place, the sweetest card, and we sat down and had dinner together. Kevin is typically not the best with cards, but this year he did great! So last night we sat and ate dinner together..quickly..while Preston was resting for a few minutes, and enjoyed each other's company. Enjoying this seems far and few between as of late. So it was so nice.

Today started off a little stressful as I needed to be out of the house for an appointment, and since Preston virtually doesn't nap anymore, I had to figure out a way to keep Preston fed and quiet while I took care of the dogs, fed myself and got ready for the public to see me. I accomplished this by bringing his bouncer into the bathroom and having him watch me brush my teeth and put on makeup---talking to him the entire time, of course. Getting out of the house is still a little stressful for me, but the more I do it, the easier it will become. So it was good to successfully accomplish it today! It's empowering.

We headed out for a chiropractic appointment for Preston this morning. I have a ton of friends who swear by a doctor in the area who specializes in treating babies with common infant issues such as reflux, colic, torticollis, etc. Soo...you know me, I love finding alternative solutions, so we're giving it a whirl. He had his first adjustment today. He did great! I took him in to have his acid reflux hopefully remedied, but the doctor also mentioned he has torticollis, which is a tightening of the neck muscles on one side of his neck. This is why he always hold his head to his left. I asked the pediatrician about this on Monday and he said it was nothing, but we should just watch it. ...Hmmm....The Chiro said that we should also see improvement in his skin molting and baby acne, sleep disturbances, reflux, and torticollis. He explained that one of Preston's upper vertebrae on his right side is rotated too far and is not in alignment with the one beneath it. This is often due to the birthing process or a tight, odd position while in utero. We will continue to go in a few times a week until we see improvement. Wishful thinking or not, but he was a faaar less fussy baby today and actually took a nap so Mom could also take a nap. It was the best birthday present ever! Glorious!

After the appointment Preston and I also experienced two other firsts together. We went to Target for a few things---all by ourselves-- and I got the big ol' stroller out a little later in the day and we went on a walk together. I think I'm learning the ropes. Yea!

Today, so far, has been a good day. Preston actually slept well through the night last night, only waking up three times for feedings and going back to sleep relatively quickly after eating. This is always nice!

I can't believe I'm 31 today. UHG. Where does the time go?

1 comment: