Friday, January 18, 2013

What a Blessing

One of my very favorite things to do is rock Preston to sleep. I absolutely love the peace it brings to be still with him. To be forced to sit down, with nothing else to do other than hold my sweet baby and usher him off to sleep. I often stare at him and I'm filled with immense thankfulness for him. I pray and pray over him and thank God for giving us such an amazing, perfect gift.

Yesterday, as I was rocking him to sleep for his afternoon nap, I was overwhelmed with thankfulness for my husband, Kevin. By fulfilling his God given design and providing for his family, Kevin is allowing me to reach my potential as a mother, a stay at home mom, to Preston. I realized in this quiet, peaceful place that God has weaved so many incredibly beautiful things into motherhood; you just have to be in the right place and be quiet enough to grab these beautiful gifts.

 For me and Kevin, we believe that God's design for a man's heart and a woman's heart, although acting in different capacities, is for the man to provide for the family and for the mom to be growing and nurturing the kids while Dad is away all day. Dads also grow and nurture the kids, but not in the same ways moms do. This is not to say that we feel there are no circumstances when a women cannot or should not work, we both were raised by single, working mothers at some point in our lives; however, we do believe in God's perfect design. God has created the woman with very special and specific talents and strengths that come to life when she has the time and energy to mother her children without all the distractions of time consuming pressures.

So in this moment, I realized that Kevin is providing the necessary tools for me to be able to reach my mothering potential. This is how the Bible tells us it should be between husband and wife.  We are to pour into one another so that our primary focus is allowing the other to reach their potential in life. And when your spouse is constantly full and poured into, they will naturally have the heart and spirit to do the same for you, and so the beautiful cycle begins.

I am incredibly thankful for my husband. That he works hard so that we can invest in Preston's future. We believe that by Preston being raised with a stay at home mom we are truly investing in him and what kind of boy, kid, man he is and will become. I am given the opportunity to pour life into Preston every single day and it is a job I take very seriously and one that brings me immense joy. It is one of the sweet joys of my life, and for my husband giving me this gift, priceless. How awesome is it that I have a husband who believes in the power of having an ever-present mother to grow our son in the ways we believe right for his life. It fills my spirit. It is worth every single sacrifice we have to make in order for me to be a stay at home mom. And on a side note to those who may not know, I am not one of those who was destined for full time motherhood. I am a career kind of women. I'm a go- getter. I'm highly motivated. I have big plans--all the time.  I'm always busy and my brain never shuts off-- dreaming up new business ideas and plans for my future. Some of those things will happen now, but most I am having to put on hold because one of our greatest legacies will be what we leave behind in Preston. So we're growing that legacy now. The other stuff will be there waiting for me later; Preston's childhood and teaching him all the things he needs to know now, won't be.

So blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment