These days all of my thoughts are prolific, fragmented, and too numerous to count. Ya know, when you're brain never shuts off. For those who know me, I have always been one who has enjoyed (not!) a brain that never stops, but seeing as my life now revolves around a newborn and multiple session of nursing or rocking a baby that keep me tied to one spot for a while and not able to get and up and do whatever my lovely brain puts on the agenda---my brain is now ubber full and busy. Dreaming of all the things I want or need to accomplish. This hasn't worn off yet. I'm still waiting to get to the point people tell me I will get to. The point where I stop with the agenda and just let everything go. I'm hoping it will happen soon, as for someone with a Type A personality it's pure torture to have a mind like mind yet not be able to check things off the mental list. It drives me mad, I tell ya!
Oh to the point behind that entire paragraph...hahaha..this post, like my day-to-day menagerie of thoughts, it will be all over the place. ..
Things are great. I tell anyone who is considering giving up breastfeeding ..or giving away their newborn before six weeks has passed, I urge you to hang in there. Things in both departments get sooo much better in six weeks. In my opinion, nothing magical happens at the six weeks mark; however, instead, there is a gradual progression of normalcy that takes place. Looking back, I had days in the beginning when I had nooo idea how I was going to make it. How I was going to ever get the bf'ing thing down, how I was ever going to get sleep again..and the list goes on and on.
Don't get me wrong, there are still tons of things that still need to see some improvement. But I know everything is just as it should be. For heavens sake, Preston's only 7 weeks into life and I'm seven weeks new at being a mom. So on that note, we're doing wonderfully.
Preston and I are finally starting to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel as far as learning one another and things being a little more regimented--which is so dang awesome. He is sleeping, most nights, in two stretches, wakes up and feeds well, and goes back to sleep with relative ease. His daytime naps are still highly disorganized, so those are sporadic. He is pretty sensitive to becoming over-tired and he also fights his sleep pretty good. But after reading a great book on infant sleep habits and the importance of sleep for little ones, I've really worked to promote sleep for him and I watch his sleepy cues closely. As a new mom, this is something I have had to learn. And, I don't think their napping habits are supposed to organize more until they are around 12 weeks. Sorry, I'm giving the long version again...the point..we're doing so much better than we were a few weeks ago. Whooo hoo! The first 6 weeks of motherhood with one's first child is overwhelming in a lot of ways, at least for me. I now know why I was told by so many friends that it feels like a blur and you're in survival mode during that time. :)
Kevin has crossed over into fatherhood beautifully. He admitted that it was not the natural transition we both thought it would have been for him. He needed a couple of weeks to really let the news of Preston's physical existence in our environment sink in before he was truly connected to our new life. Kevin and I have learned to work together and get a system going on how to tag team everything we need to get done. I think we're just now starting to see some real definition in this realm. It feels nice, too.
I have to mention our sweet dogs. They really have adjusted so amazing to having Preston around. I don't know if it had much to do with how we prepared them or it's just their good dispositions, probably a combo of both, but I'm really so proud of them. What a weight off of our shoulders. We were a little concerned about how ALL FOUR would adjust and how crazy things would be after adding Preston to the mix. But, honestly, it hasn't been too drastic of a change. They are interested in him, but not overly. They have shown no irritation at him being here and consuming all our time..the time that used to belong to them. I do feel so sorry for them. I try to be conscious of how much of my time they have lost and try to give them attention as much as I can, but it still makes me sad for me. But I'm so proud of our fur babies.
Lets see..random updates..
Within the last week Preston has stopped pooping multiple times a day and now only goes about once every 3-4 days. This is perfectly normal, however, I don't know that this new development is working for me. LOL Every 3-4 days??..Do you know what this means...this is a biiig poop. Too big of a poop to be contained. So every few days Preston and I are covered, dripping, leaking...insert any other great descriptors you can think of..in poop. Last week I was at a friend's house visiting when he decided to bless me with one of his lovely poop creations. It was so bad my two friends were on their knees wiping poop from my crotch and I was then given a trash bag to lay Preston down on so I could strip him down and clean him up. It was quite the scene. These episodes become a little more precarious when I'm alone dealing with the clean up. I often stand stunned for a few seconds trying to devise a plan of action to limit poop exposure to our carpet and furniture.
Oh, funny story! TMI alert. You are about to get the visual of your life, too. I was feeding Preston right about the time dinner needed to be finished up. It seems to be some strange habit for me to walk around for a few minutes with the boob I just nursed on exposed...okay, okay, hanging out. I let things air out before I go stuffing things back in the bra. Don't judge me. So tonight was no exception. This has become such a habit it is no longer noticed by me or Kevin. We just go about our business while I have one lone boob hanging out at any given point in the day. Nice, I know. So tonight I passed off a fed Preston to Kevin so I could finish dinner. I promptly made my way into the kitchen and opened the oven to pull out the entree I was cooking. This action came to an abrupt halt when it felt like my nipple was on fire! Holy cow! I had just leaned into a very hot oven with a freshly nursed on nipple! For all of you bf'ing mom's you know this is no bueno. It felt like I had just seared off my nipple--extreme pain and then I noticed it started turning brown on the side that was exposed to the heat the most. Kevin heard me yell and promptly came in to say, "Why are you cooking with your boob hanging out?!" The only logical response, " My boobs are always hanging out!" Needless to say, I don't think this little episode is going to bode well for future nursing endeavors over the next few day. And I can say I have learned my lesson: nipples and the stove just don't belong together. Ouch!
All in all, things are great and we are enjoying our little man. We are loving getting to watch his personality come to life and change everyday. He is just the cutest, most precious little thing I have ever laid eyes on, I tell ya. I catch Kevin just kissing and kissing all over his face and telling him how handsome he is or how much he loves him all the time. Hahaha..and I do the exact same all day long. I guess it's easy to do this now as he's not old enough to throw temper tantrums, run away from us, or tell us he hates us, so we're making sure to get plenty of this in now!
No comments:
Post a Comment